Last week we talked about adding fixed spaces to FrameMaker documents. As a quick recap, here's the list of shortcuts:
- Em space: Esc spacebar m (or Control+Shift+Spacebar)
- En space: Esc spacebar n (or Control+Alt+Spacebar)
- Thin space: Esc spacebar t
- Figure space: Esc spacebar 1 (one)
- Non-breaking space: Esc spacebar h (or Control+Spacebar)
But what if you want to enter the shortcuts above into a dialog box? Or maybe you need to use one to separate the run in heads in Paragraph Designer. In that case you will need the following list as well:
- Em space: \m or \sm
- En space: \sn
- Thin space: \i or \st
- Figure space: \#
- Non-breaking space: \ (space)
And, I like to use en spaces to separate my run in heads from the text that follows:
Finally, I can correctly anticipate the non-breaking space in my Cross Reference format when I see the "\ " in the Heading & Page building blocks between page and <$pagenum>.
About the author: Barbara Binder is the president and founder of Rocky Mountain Training. Barbara has been a trainer for nearly two decades and has been recognized by Adobe as one of the top trainers world-wide.