by Rick Zanotti
There's are few things worse for a learner than to have to attend a class or take an eLearning course and the narrator speaks in a monotonous, dull tone. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone? Anyone?
How do you make your voiceover narration more compelling, engaging and interesting?
Here are some quick steps to ensure that your recordings are not driving your learners into a comatose state:
- Practice reading your audio aloud and record yourself doing it. You may feel uncomfortable with this, but it's a time-proven technique that will help you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your voice.
- Be honest with yourself when evaluating your voice. If you find your reading monotonous or boring, you can rest assured your learners will hate it.
- Work on your inflection. Ensure that the modulation of your voice includes emotion, emphasis or just plain life. If you can do this, you are 80% of the way there. The remaining 20% is clarity and pronounciation.
While these may seem like small things, they will reap huge rewards when done right. And your learners will appreciate it!
About the author: Rick Zanotti is an instructional designer, multimedia author, voice-over talent, video producer and Management consultant with more than 35 years of experience in IT and Learning. He has managed multi-million dollar projects and believes in a simple and practical approach to providing solutions. Rick founded RELATE Corporation 26 years ago, a successful eLearning and media development company. Rick teaches our Audio Basics for eLearning online class.